Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Greatest Treasure

Today I spent a good chunk of time listening to my oldest daughter quote the entire book of Hebrews and 1st and 2nd Peter from memory.  Word for word!

She is a Bible Quizzer and is trying out for the team that will go to the Bible Quizzing International Competition this summer.  She is required to quote all of the material tomorrow evening to be qualified as a potential team member.  She has spent hours memorizing this material and I am in awe!

She doesn't really understand what a treasure she has.  I mean, I think she knows how important it is to memorize and she gets that God's word is a powerful tool, but in her fifteen years she doesn't yet understand how this treasure will rescue her in the future.  She is mature beyond her years, but hasn't experienced too much life yet, thankfully.

I sat there listening to her rattle off this truth like she was breathing and I wanted to cry.  It overwhelmed me.  The truth she was speaking about was speaking to me and meeting my need for today.  The truths that she has placed to memory in her heart were a precious balm to my weary heart.

1 Peter 4:12-13
12 Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. 13 But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. 


This piece of scripture has been sustaining me for awhile.  There are many days that I feel like something strange is happening to me.  I don't understand some of the things that are going on in my house and I don't know what to do except to fall on my knees in prayer.


It is as if I have no reference point for some of these situations.  They are completely beyond me.  Obviously they are not beyond God.  Praise His Name!!!


So I kneel and pray for God's glory to be revealed.  I kneel and thank Him in advance for what He is going to do in the hearts and minds of my children and I beg for wisdom and patience to take me through the process.  I look forward to the day will I will be overjoyed as His glory is revealed in my home!


Then I hear this truth from my daughter's mouth and I am reminded...


1 Peter 5:6-7
 6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. 7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.


What a gift God offers to me.  As I humble myself and ask for His help he promises to take His big mighty hand and lift me out of this difficulty. 


And... he cares for me.


That's so good.  


I am so thankful for the Bible and the truths that it holds.  And I am beyond proud and thankful that of all the things that my daughter could spend her time doing, she has chosen to hide this precious treasure in her heart!


Sweet Momma

No comments: