Saturday, October 24, 2015

Traditions



I am a mom who loves tradition.  Our family is covered in them.  Some of the silliest things make us who we are.  I am sure every family has this to some extent.  As our kids have grown I am having a bit of difficulty knowing how to continue traditions if everyone can't be a part of it.

Having adult children changes things.  Although our oldest is now 19, she still lives at home, but is very busy with work and school and many other activities that I find hard to keep up with at times.:)

Last year at this time she was working crazy hours at a pumpkin patch.  I kept waiting for a day when we could all go to our "traditional" pumpkin patch and take our yearly picture under the 
"How Tall This Fall?" sign.

October came and went, without a day that worked for everyone.
It made me sad.  We have gone to the pumpkin patch every year since our oldest was a baby.  I thought about letting go of the tradition and then felt bad for the younger ones who are still in the middle of marking their years with memories like the pumpkin patch.

 You might notice that Bookworm is now the tallest.  
He has passed everyone, but Dad.  That will happen soon.

My new thought is that we will try to keep traditions that are feasible and not stress the ones that don't work.  We need to be ok with one or a few of the kids missing out on the traditions that don't work for them and their schedules.  Those of you with older children see this truth as obvious, but I'm just now settling into it.

There is so much comfort in the familiar.  The old red tractor, sitting on the pumpkins and choosing the best pumpkin as a family.  I remember six years ago walking through the corn maze and saying to Stand-Up Dad, "Next year we will have six kids running through the maze instead of four."

It was six years ago this month that I saw Sunshine and Little Buddy's faces for the first time as we received our referral.  So much has happened since then.  Time surely does fly.


This Fall also marks the beginning of Cate's Senior year of high school.  She is attending our local junior college full time and will graduate in June with her high school diploma and an Associate of Education degree which will qualify her to enter a University Teacher training course.  She plans to work toward a degree in Elementary Education with a minor in Teaching English as a Second Language.

I had a great time taking her Senior photos last week.  I still need to spend some time editing them, but here are a couple raw photos that I like.  I'll have to remove the guy walking behind her.:)
Don't you just love her shoes?


                                             
Our Cate has a zest for life that is completely contagious.  I am loving watching this young woman grow in the Lord and use her gifts to bless others.  I can't wait to see God's plan unfold in her life.

Cate is a lot like me in her love of traditions.  She loves all the fun that life can bring and her attitude can keep me going.

What traditions do you enjoy?

Sweet Momma

No comments: