Friday, September 16, 2011

Our August Birthdays

Summer has flown by and we have just completed our third week of school.  

I can't seem to get on top of my blogging.  Ugh!

I want to take some time to celebrate our little ones who both celebrated another birthday - almost a month ago.=)

Sunshine (Who is obviously Sophie, from the picture - Oops!) celebrated her seventh birthday in the middle of August.  In July she started talking about her birthday and I could see that it was making her very anxious.  We took the time to talk through all the events of the day and I reminded her that I would make her day special.  It would be a birthday that was just perfect for her.

It was perfect.  It was just right.  Not too much excitement as to overwhelm her, but just enough fun to make it a wonderful day!


Sunshine is such an amazing young lady.  She is super smart and very determined.  She has grown by leaps and bounds since she came to live with us.  She has just started second grade and just loves to learn.  She is reading independently and loves art.  There are so many things that she is good at, she has trouble choosing her favorite.

She struggles greatly with yielding to me.  I know God has an amazing plan for her.  I know that He can be trusted.  So we move forward each day in full faith that He will work everything together for His good.
Sunshine loved the special treat I had planned for her on her birthday.  I took her on a Mommy/Daughter date to get her nails done.  She got her toes and fingernails painted while I had a pedicure.  She even got beautiful flowers painted on her big toes and thumbs.

Happy Birthday Sunshine!  I adore you!


Little Buddy had a birthday the next day!  Yes, that is right.  We do not know their actual birth dates as people in Ethiopia do not keep those kinds of records.  But to be adopted a birthdate had to be chosen.

Their birth dates were chosen by their oldest sister.  That is what makes these dates special to our family.  If someone at the courthouse had chosen them, we might have spread them apart a bit.  In this way we honor their sister who had no idea that two days of birthdays can be quite busy!=)


Little Buddy requested Ethiopian food for his birthday dinner.  I was happy to oblige.  It is fairly easy to make if you can buy the injera, which is what we did.  It was delicious and his tummy and his heart were full.

Happy Birthday Little Buddy!  I love you SOOOOOOOO much!=)

Birthdays for kiddos from hard places can be difficult.  This year was hard for Little Buddy.  Our therapist told me that how a child does on their birthday can say a lot about how they are doing in general.  It made a lot of sense to me.

As you can see, this little guy is adorable.  His hugs and kisses melt my heart.  He has come so far.  Not only has he learned English and adjusted to a new family, he is also reading independently at just five years old.  I am so thankful that he does not have to struggle with school as he struggles in other areas.

My greatest desire for both of these precious children is that God would heal and transform their hearts. This would allow them to trust and be free of the hurt that they carry daily.

I guess I really want them to be free to be kids before they are grown.

That is what I want...I am waiting to see what God wants.  His plan is always better than anything I can dream up.

Sweet Momma

No comments: