Sunday, June 14, 2009

In Honor of Monica Haase






Our family has the privilege of knowing a wonderful family with four little girls. We met them several years ago at our church. We got to know the parents as we went through a parenting class together. Our children knew each other through Sunday school classes. The Haase family are part of the military. It came time for them to move out of our lives three years ago. I'd like to share a little of their story with you.

"Our daughter Monica was a sweet, sweet girl that loved to donate hair. The first time she donated it, she was 5. When she turned 7, she said, 'Mommy, I have pretty hair.' To which I responded, 'Yes honey, you do.' She then said, 'No I mean, I have really beautiful, thick, curly, hair. But I don't need it. There are other kids that need hair more than I do, and they would love to have my hair. So, that's what I am going to do for the rest of my life, grow it out and give it away.' So that weekend she donated her hair again. While traveling in July 2007, right after she turned 9, she had it cut again. On July 8th while traveling from Montana to Washington her family was in a terrible car accident and Monica and her little sisters Katie(5) and Sarah(4) were all killed instantly. Monica's braid was lost in the wreckage.
While we are all struggling with the why's and dealing with our grief, we would like to help others as Monica did. We will continue to collect hair and send it to Locks of Love in honor of Monica. Hair and monetary donations will be accepted. 100% of the proceeds will go to Locks of Love.
God Bless You All,
Melody, Kenton, and Vanessa Haase"

My girls, Elsie and M&M, heard about donating hair in honor of Monica and decided this was something that they wanted to do. They found very quickly that growing hair takes a long time. But they were so excited to donate their hair.

This week they had their hair cut. Would you consider growing and donating your hair in honor of Monica Haase?

If you are interested please call or email Melody Haase at (253)306-3012, kentandmel@hotmail.com

Sweet Momma

No comments: